The distribution center will be the second largest in UNFI's East Region, and will allow the company to enhance efficiencies, improve productivity through best-in-class warehousing and inventory control systems, lower operating costs and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Features include CO2 refrigeration systems, robust refrigerated cooler and freezer capacity, and increased cold chain integrity.
Highlights of the sustainable design elements include:
- Water use reduction of 45% compared to typical comparable building
- Energy use reduction of 26% compared to typical comparable building
- 75% of construction waste diverted from landfill
- Building materials contain 30% recycled content
- 30% of building materials from regional sources