“The 2016 Top Green Providers reached a new record high for applicants and recipients, confirming the importance of sustainability in the global food and beverage supply chain,” says Lara L. Sowinski, Editorial Director, Supply Chain Network, at AC Business Media.
"Inside our facilities and on the road, we continuously take steps to reduce our carbon footprint. UNFI is committed to improving fleet efficiency, producing renewable energy, recycling, diverting waste from landfills and other green initiatives. Earning a place on Food Logistics' competitive Top Green Providers list is an honor and affirms our drive to discover what’s next," said Tom Dziki, Chief Sustainability Officer at UNFI.
In 2015, UNFI made several key achievements in sustainability including:
- 2 new buildings designed for LEED® Gold certification
- 2.1% YOY improvement in fleet fuel efficiency
- 25% YOY improvement in diversion from landfills
- 17,390 tons recycled or diverted from landfills
- 6% YOY reduction in electricity usage intensity