UNFI has built multiple LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified buildings and is pursuing LEED® certification on several new projects. Learn more about our projects
Corporate Sustainability Report
Our latest efforts in social and environmental responsibility.
View the report
5 in Five—Our Pledge
In 2010, we pledged to reduce carbon emissions by 5% from 2009 levels over five years. Learn how we're doing
We use the power of the sun to generate our own energy.
Learn more about our projects
Programs and Initiatives
Hydrogen Fuel Cell Technology in the Sarasota warehouse.
- Offer Hybrid Vehicle Incentive Program to all UNFI associates
- Utilize PeopleNet and Roadnet software programs in truck fleet to incentivize diesel consumption reduction
- Implemented Hydrogen Fuel Cell Technology in the Sarasota facility, saving approximately 640,000 kilowatt hours each year
- Maintain two EnergyStar designated distribution centers—York, PA and Chesterfield, NH
Providence associates at a Habitat for Humanity project.
- Each UNFI facility has established a team of volunteers to help promote sustainability and philantropy in their facility and in the community
- UNFI associates are given the opportunity to participate in two corporate volunteer day events each year; one focused on the environment and one focused on humanitarian efforts
- Teams have recently partnered with notable organizations such as: Habitat for Humanity, American Cancer Society, Susan G. Koman Foundation, United Way, Salvation Army, as well as local shelters and food banks